The first school to open in Inverleigh was the Presbyterian School early in 1856. The building had been completed in 1855. School records show that there was no teacher appointed until 1857. Either the school was run by unqualified staff, or in these very early days, it was merely a Sunday school. Daniel Campbell was appointed by the School - Church Committee, in time to begin the school year in 1857.
Early in 1856, the Anglican Church opened a school near the Cemetery, which functioned until 1872. Little is known of it except that the early Presbyterian School records show that in 1867 it charged lower fees than the Presbyterian school and that many pupils transferred to the cheaper school.
In 1865 the Presbyterian school charged a shilling a week. During the 1860's it was decided to build a stone school to take the place of the old wooden building.
Extensive collection campaigns were organized and resulted in 188 Pounds with 50 Pounds more in promises. Robert Wishart was contracted to build the school for 160 Pounds. A Mrs. Daniel’s was contracted to provide furniture and fittings for 245 Pounds ten shillings.
The Board of Education took over the school in 1872, and on 13th April 1872, the Committee made claim to the Department for 450 Pounds plus 30 Pounds for furniture. Daniel Campbell resigned on 25th November 1883. In 1885 the Committee applied for a tin roof to cover the leaking shingles, it was supplied in 1889.
The school residence was erected in 1912.
A Board of Advice managed the school until 1910 when School Committees were established.
Some Highlights of the 20th Century consist of: